Cauliflower Fried Rice & Asian Meatballs
Sometimes you just get an inkling some Asian style good eats! But, as we all know, Asian style usually calls for lots of oil, lots of carbs, and generally not the healthiest thing in the world!
I don't know about you, but I never want to sacrifice my love of Asian food!
So...that's when tons of healthy substitutions and swaps come into play!
I have recently discovered the amazing-ness that is cauliflower as rice! There's so many amazing cauliflower rice recipes - cilantro-lime, Cauliflower Rice Lettuce Wraps, and of course this new one...Cauliflower Fried Rice! I found this recipe originally from The Recipe Critic!
As for the protein part of this week's MOTW (because I've gotta have me some protein in my life lol)...Asian Meatballs! This recipe I found on Get Fit with Nikki for Asian meatballs!
What do you need to buy?
For Cauliflower Fried Rice:
- Head of cauliflower - $2.99
- Mirepoix frozen vegetbale mix (Carrots, Celery, Onions) - $1.00
- Eggs - $1.49
- 2 bundles of Green Onions - $1.38
For Asian Meatballs:
- 2lbs of ground turkey (I bought 4 because it was cheaper) - $8.99
Things I already had...
- Sesame/Vegetable Oil
- Soy Sauce
- Powdered Ginger
- Garlic Powder
Total budget (without counting the things I already had!) - $15.85
For Cauliflower Rice:
- Start with prepping the cauliflower rice
- Cut up the cauliflower head into smaller florets
- Place into a food processor
- Process until the cauliflower achieves a rice-like texture and size
Now, the vegetables!
- Empty the entire bag of frozen vegetables into a wok or large saucepan over medium to medium-high heat
- Cook vegetables until softened
- Beat 2 eggs lightly
- Push vegetables to the side in sautee pan and add eggs
- Scramble the eggs until fully cooked through
- Once cooked, mix eggs and vegetables together
- Add Cauliflower rice and soy sauce (to taste)
- Sautee until rice begins to brown slightly
For Asian Meatballs:
- SUPER EASY!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Chop up one of the bundles of green onions
- In a large bowl, use your hands to mix the green onions, garlic powder, powdered ginger and soy sauce into half (2 pounds) of the ground turkey
- I'm not giving you specific amounts here because the amounts that you use will be fully dependent upon your taste and how much garlic, ginger, or soy flavor you want!
- Once you've mixed all the ingredients in, start breaking the ground turkey into 24 meatballs...you may even be able to get 28 out of it depending upon how large you would like your meatballs to be!
- Once you've rolled out your meatballs, place them on a greased baking sheet
- Bake for 25 minutes
As for your 21 day fix portions...the rice is ALL veggies! So you can do as many green containers of cauliflower rice as you would like! For the meatballs, 5-6 of them should fit within your red container! Therefore, each serving (depending on how many servings you want) will be
1-2 greens and 1 red!
As shown, I love to pare this with a kale salad! The image on the top of the page is 1 green of kale salad, 1 green of cauliflower rice, 1 red of meatballs! Such an amazing and fulfilling dinner!
That's it! Enjoy!