Pancakes - A Sunday Tradition...
Today...I have a VERY special recipe share for you!
Every weekend morning growing up my dad would make us big breakfasts. When we got older, he had to stop to accommodate my brother and my playing soccer! It's not realistic to play a full game of soccer on a fully stomach...
But anyways, Saturday morning was often scrambled eggs and protein--sausage or bacon usually, and occasionally bacon scrambled into the eggs.
And then Sunday - Sunday was pancakes! You could say I'm a little sentimental about my Sunday morning pancakes now! I like to lighten them up though...make slightly fancier and healhtier versions of my favorite childhood pasttime!
But, before I get into the recipes...let's talk about the best way to make pancakes!
Your batter should be slightly liquid-y, enough so that it will spread slightly when pour the batter into the pan, but thick enough that it holds its shape.
You'll want to mix all of your dry ingredients together, and then add the wet ingredients. After everything is properly mixed, coat the pan with non-stick spray, add your batter to the pan and allow it spread into a circular shape! Once the batter is in the plate, do not disturb it! Allow it to cook until you see the edges of the circle pull away from the pan, and you see bubbles start to form and then pop on the top of the batter. At this point, flip the pancakes and allow for it to continue to cook until the pancake easily slides out of the pan! Then you should have the perfect pancake! :-)
Now, for the recipes...
Chocolate Almond Protein Pancakes
- 1 Scoop Chocolate Shakeology
- 1 scoop Vanilla Whey protein
- 1/4 cut almond flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Egg whites
- 1/4 C Vanilla Greek Yogurt
- 2-3 T Coconut Milk
- 1 T Ground flax seeds
Vanilla Banana Coconut Pancakes
- 1 medium banana, smashed
- 1 egg
- 1 scoop of Vanilla shakeology
- 1-2 Tablespoons of whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of coconut extract
- Unsweetened, shredded coconut to taste; and some for topping
- Strawberries, sliced (as many as desired)
Chocolate Pumpkin Protein Pancakes
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree (original recipe called for homemade but I just used canned pumpkin from the store)
- 2 tbsp whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1.4 tsp pumpkin spice (OR use a few extra shakes of cinnamon, 1 dash of ginger, a big shake of nutmeg, and a shake of all spice)
- 1 heaping scoop of chocolate Shakeology (the original recipe called for vanilla protein powder, but I only had chocolate so I added that instead)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp honey
My batter turned out REALLY thick actually, so I would suggest thinning it maybe with a little bit of almond milk. It should spread easily into a circle, when you pour it into the pan (you know--you've made pancakes before).
I usually put about 1/4-1/3 cup of batter into the pan and then top it with chocolate chips! For these I used Nestles dark chocolate chips and put about 8 chocolate chips on top of each pancake!
And before we finish, one last one...
Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
Now, bear with me on this one because this was a remember after the fact ad-hoc recipe! ;-)
- Vanilla greek yogurt
- Thin with a bit of almond
- Add a touch of cinnamon
- 1/3C instant oats
- 1 scoop vanilla shakeology
- 1/4 C vanilla greek yogurt
- 1t Vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1t cinnamon
- Unsweetened almond milk to thin the mixture
That's all for now! Pick your deliciousness, and let me know what you think!