I used to make this one pasta all the time when I first moved out of the dorms and started cooking for myself. A caprese pasta. It was absolutely delicious, but not exactly the healthiest thing in the world! Slathered in oils and cheese (hence why it was so good!)
Well, for whatever reason, I’ve never tried to lighten it up! Until now!
Spaghetti squash is my go-to way to take a pasta dish and make it healthier, and that’s exactly what I did in this case.
What you’ll need
- 1 small or medium spaghetti squash
- 2 large tomatoes
- Garlic (to taste)
- 1 rotisserie chicken, fully cooked
- When I’m feeling lazy, this is my go-to protein to put on top of pastas! But you’re welcome to cook your own chicken, too!
- Italian cheese blend
- Basil (fresh)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Set the oven to 375 degrees
- While it preheats, cut the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- When preheated, bake for 30-40 mins, piercing with a knife until the squash is mostly cooked.
- With about 10 minutes left in the squash’s baking time, heat a large pan on the skillet over medium heat. Drizzle a little olive oil.
- While the olive oil heats, coarsely chop the garlic and cube the tomatoes
- Add the garlic to the olive oil and saute until fragrant
- When fragrant, add the tomatoes and saute. They will melt into a sort of sauce. Saute for approximately 5 mins and then turn the heat down to low/warm.
- After the spaghetti squash cooks, let cool until it is cool enough to hold in an oven mitt.
- Once cooled, use a fork to scrape the spaghetti squash strands into the garlic-tomato mixture. Toss together.
- Top with as much pesto as desired and mix into the spaghetti squash mixture.
- Portion approximately a cup into a serving bowl, top with desired amount of rotisserie chicken, Italian cheese mix, a small amount of fresh basil, and serve!
That’s all – Enjoy!
This is such a great, versatile, people-pleasing dish! Mix it up by including or dis-including the pesto, adding a different protein like shrimp or Italian sausage, etc. Test out some combinations and pick your favorite!