Can you see a pattern forming here? I just really love lightened versions of burgers to satisfy that greasy junk-food craving! And this weekend was no exception…
What do you need to buy?
For the Burgers:
- 1.5 pounds of 85% lean Ground Turkey – $4.98
- Kroger Sandwich Slims – $1.89
- Red Onions – $0.73
- 1 egg – $0.15
- Feta Cheese – $2.50
For the sauce:
- 1 Lemon – $0.69
- 5.5 ounce container Kroger Plain Greek Yogurt – $0.80
What I already had:
- Fresh – ~$4
- Frozen – ~$1-2
- Breadcrumbs – $2.38
- Garlic – ~$1 for a clove
- Oregano – – $2-3
Spices you’ll need:
- Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper
Total budget – $21.62 for 6 servings
The thing I love about making homemade hamburgers is that it’s super easy to throw patties on a grill pan, cook them for a little while during a TV show, movie, or while you read, and then enjoy when you’re done! That’s basically exactly what I did – and exactly what I do almost every time I cook.
- Within the yogurt container, mix a couple shakes of Garlic Powder (to taste), dry dill (1/4 tsp), the juice of half the lemon, and a dash of salt. Stir together and let the flavors meld together in the refrigerator while you make the remainder of the meal.
- I used fresh spinach, but if you are using frozen spinach, this would be the time to thaw the spinach and squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
- Chop approximately 1C of the spinach roughly.
- Chop up 1/2 of the red onion
- In a bowl, combine the ground turkey, spinach, red onion, 1/4 cup of feta, 1/2 tsp of garlic, 1 tsp of dried Oregano, 1 egg, 1/3 cup of bread crumbs, 1/2 tsp of salt, and some pepper. Combine with your hands until everything is mixed together. Shape into six patties.
- Cook the burgers on a grill pan or over an open flame on a barbecue if you want those awesome grill marks, OR on a non-stick skillet, cooking 10 minutes per side or until cooked through.
- While cooking the last burgers, toast the Sandwich Slims for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Once toasted, spread the yogurt sauce on both sides of the bun, add the burger and top with desired toppings – more red onion, for example would be great.
That’s it! Enjoy!