Hot Arugula Salad with Bacon Dijon Dressing & Eggs
Freaking forever ago at The Ram restaurant, I had an absolute amazing Hot Caesar salad for dinner. For some reason, that has always been one of my all-time favorite salads. Something about the contrast between the cool salad and the hot dressings and toppings was absolutely fantastic! So, I thought I'd try my hand!
I bought a ton of arugula and some spicy mustard greens at the Farmer's Market last weekend and thought it would make a a great bed for my salad! I scoured some recipes online, tried a few things, and let's just say that this turned out DELICIOUS!!!!!!!
What you need:
- Greens of some sort - I used Arugula and a spicy mustard greens mixture
- Olive Oil
- Bacon, lean
- Dijon mustard
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Smoked Gouda
- Note: I usually make this in individual batches to make it the freshest as possible each time I eat it! It's up to you if you want to make the sauce ahead of time.
- In a small saucepan over medium to medium-high heat, place a drizzle of Olive Oil.
- As the Olive Oil warms, coarsely chop a clove of garlic and cut up a single slice of bacon into small bits
- Add the garlic to the olive oil and let sautee until fragment, approximately a minute
- Add the bacon and cook until it starts to crisp and brown
- One browned, add approximately a tablespoon of Dijon mustard and 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar to the pan. Be careful, the vinegar will sizzle quite a bit.
- Mix the sauce until well blended.
- Place a generous handful of greens onto a plate.
- Top the greens with the sauce.
- In the same pan, fry two eggs, cooking for approximately two minutes on each side or until the egg white had solidified.
- Top the salad greens and sauce with the fried eggs and then grate as much smoked Gouda as desired.
I was by how much I love of this dish! It's super simple to prepare and you can never have too many delicious, creative, healthy salad dressings up your sleeve! My biggest tip is to not over-do it with the vinegar until you know how you like your dressing!