The Healthy Life Handbook: Part health coach, goal designer, and life planner
Note: The Healthy Life Handbook has been discontinued until I can find a proper platform to truly make the planner what I want it to be! If you're interested in getting a copy, you can find undated versions in my shop
A while back, my friend and I were talking about our old lifestyles. So many of the things we do now - meal prep, grocery shop, schedule our workouts, set goals, etc. - these were such foreign concepts to us back when we started trying to get healthier two years ago. It really wasn't as straightforward as it seems now.
Then she started saying, wouldn't it be great if something like that existed? Some handbook for how to implement all of these lifestyle changes, habits, etc. seamlessly into our lives?
Since then, I've been on a mission...
On a mission to find a planner that fits my needs and the needs of so many others. That is part planner, part life coach, part motivator, and part healthy habit developer. I had yet to find a planner that enforced the type of health and life changes that I wanted to make. That not only helped me with goal mapping and life designing, but scheduling and healthy habit implementation.
I reviewed the DailyGreatness Journal back in April, calling it the "Ultimate Habit Builder", and I still think a lot of that is true. But, I also think there were a lot of ineffective redundancies in the planner, and I really never got used to the fact that functionally speaking it really could just never serve as a planner for me.
I reviewed the Erin Condren Life Planner last fall, and I think functionally it is the absolute perfect planner. But, it was lacking a lot of the habit formation and healthy lifestyle pieces that the DailyGreatness planner did so well.
I really wanted something that melded the two planners together, but was a little more customizable as my habits, desires, and plans for my life changed.
THAT IS WHY I CREATED THE Healthy Life Handbook...
This is the planner for the person who wants a life coach in a planner form, but without losing the functionality of the planner!
part health coach. part goal designer. part life planner.
This planner consists of 3 parts, which you will either be able to purchase in a bundle, or purchase individually, depending upon what you need.
The 5 S's of Health. We start with the 5 S's of Health. Why? Because a lot of people think that health is just fitness or the food you put in your body. But, did you know that a lot of diseases are linked to poor sleep? And what about our mental health? See! Not so simple. The first part of the healthy handbook lays out what the different aspects of health are and what you can do to make sure you're covering all your bases.
Foundations for Success. The second part of the Healthy Handbook forms the basis of my coaching philosophy - The Science of Life Design. I walk you through how to determine which aspects of your life you're dissatisfied with and why, what you really and truly want out of life, and how to map out your goals to actually get you to where you want to be. This includes a place to do a life evaluation, how to determine what your priorities are and if they match with what you want them to be, a place to write your own Manifesto, goal setting, life designing, action planning your goals, etc.
Life Design Planner. This is where everything comes together - The Life Design Planner! This planner is everything that the Erin Condren and DailyGreatness journals weren't for me. I take the best parts of the ECLP - fun quotes, colors, inspiration - and combine it with DailyGreatness. But, I trimmed the fat! All those redundancies that made the DailyGreatness ineffective for me I took out. And I made things more customizable! No more being told which habits you should implement! Of course, I made recommendations! But, you get to pick and choose which ones you care about integrating into you life. Plus, I incorporated all of the habits that I think are most effective. Some of the highlights include
- Action Plans: You'll find action plans not only in the Foundations section, but in the main Life Design Planner each month, where you'll be asked to choose which goals you'll be focusing on for the month and break those down into the most important steps, too.
- Meal and Grocery Planner: We all know that abs are made in the kitchen, but sometimes that's easier said then done. So, I tried to take as much of the guess work out of it as possible. Each week, you'll have a place to plan your meals for the week, and write our your grocery lists. There's also tons of information and links for all of my tips on how to meal prep!
- Weeky layouts. A fully weekly layout where you can not only keep track of your appointments, but also schedule your workouts, track your water intake, write out your focus for the week, how you're going to reward yourself, quotes, goals, etc.
- Gratitudes, Affirmations, and Top Priorities.The weekly layout also includes a section at the top of each day for some of my favorite habits from DailyGreatness - writing out things to be grateful for, affirmations, and your top priorities for the day! I think it's so important to constantly remind yourself what you have to be grateful for in this world of lack, to constantly remind yourself of all the great parts of who you are (not all the things you're not), and to choose your top 3 priorities for the day. It's really easy to never feel finished at the end of the day and get overwhelmed by everything you didn't do. Now, I wake up in the morning and decide on the 3 things that, if I completed these 3 actions today, I would be happy with my day! It's such a stress reliever.
- Weekly and monthly reviews. I am a believer in the power of review! Because without constantly checking back in on ourselves and seeing how we're doing, we aren't able to keep track of what's working and what isn't! That's the highway to ineffectiveness! We all want to make big changes and achieve big goals fast! Society is all about instant gratification. And I'll tell you now, you're going to get to your goals infinitely faster if you actually look back on what's going well, what's not, what you need to change, what you're satisfied with, etc. There's a 2 page weekly review, for you to just journal about how things are going: what you're happy with, what you're not, etc. It might just be a place to vent if that's what you need! There's also a 2-page monthly review to look back on all you've done in the past month and if you moved toward your goals as you hoped you would, as well as a 1-page layout in preparation for the month to follow!
This planner will be available in a pdf download starting August 1st, 2016. It's currently in an 8.5 x 11 inch format, but instructions will be available for how to convert it to a smaller, 4 x 5.5 inch format. Note that in the conversion, some of the lined pages may get condensed as well. I hope to release a re-formatted version more specifically for this smaller size.
I use the Arc system for this planner. This system is available at Staples. I don't get anything from Staples for recommending this, I'll just say that now! But, I LOVE ARC! It's the perfect hybrid of a notebook and a binder. It's modifiable like a binder, so you can move pages around and remove pages as you'd like. But it also lies flat, which is wonderful when you actually have something you need to be able to easily write on both sides of the page. I highly recommend you check out arc if you struggle with what format to put this in. You may need/want to get an Arc hole puncher to use this in the Arc system. I personally saw so much value in that. Another possibility, if Arc is a little too much for you, is to get one of these Five Star Flex soft-sided binders, or similar. Those are my recommendations! :-)
Notes Pages. QUOTES & INSPIRATION. Health TIPS. goal setting.
All built into your functional planner layout!
This is the planner of my dreams, and it's everything I've ever envisioned it being! I'm so excited to share it with you!
If you have any thoughts, things you'd love to see included in it, questions - contact me below!